Follow these five steps every time.
1. Wet your hands with clean, running water (warm or cold), turn off the tap, and apply soap.
2. Lather your hands by rubbing them together with the soap. Lather the backs of your hands, between your fingers, and under your nails.
3. Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds. Need a timer? Hum the “Happy Birthday” song from beginning to end, twice.
4. Rinse your hands well under clean, running water.
5. Dry your hands using a clean towel or air dry them.
If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.